Photo by Carol M. Highsmith
In 1937 Wright bought 600 acres in the Sonoran Desert at the foot of McDowell Mountain. He built there first a camp and then gradually an entire complex of offices, drafting rooms, and living quarters. All the while, Taliesin West served as a laboratory for Wright’s ideas and was constructed almost entirely by the architecture students who studied there. The walls are of concrete poured around large desert stones.