view larger image
photo: Balthazar Korab Ltd.
The first Corning Museum, designed by Wallace Harrison of Harrison & Abramowitz, was an elegant, glass-walled building that opened in 1951. In 1978 architect Gunnar Birkerts completed a new addition, which included a series of galleries with a library at their core. The most recent addition of a new visitors’ center and a sculpture gallery was completed by the firm Smith-Miller + Hawkinson in 2001.