I’ve been thinking about it… I like going to seminars. I like learning new things (and I really like getting free CEUs!) I do take notes, I do try to learn as much as I can. Answering the question "Is this good? How can I implement/use?" is what I ask myself the days following seminars I’ve attended.
I’ve realized that remembering "sound bites" or quotable quotes is typically the best way I remember good information and incorporate it in to my practice. Here are a few of my favorites – please add yours!
- "You don’t tuck your raincoat in your underwear" - Steve Easley on waterproofing wall assemblies
- "You never know what bigger project will come from answering the one phone call and taking that one little job" – Allison Brooks on larger scale projects.
- "Ask us if you have a question, even if we’re not your insurance carrier; call us up and ask us!" – Steve Brown on limiting liability exposure
- "Don’t forget to ask your prospective clients, ‘Do you have an art collection? May I see it’? when thinking about working with someone" – Kevin Harris on his mentors
- "Nurture the team as often as possible" – Jim Rains top 10 construction administration best practices
- Lisa Stacholy, AIA